Upward Bound Academic School Year Program
In the Upward Bound Program, you'll receive:
- Tutoring that helps with your current high school classes.
- Guidance and support in selecting academic, career and postsecondary opportunities.
- Workshops and group activities to build self-confidence and independence.
- Enrichment activities to develop creative thinking, effective expression and positive attitudes toward learning.
- Cultural awareness through exposure and participation in cultural activities, tours of historical and geographical sites, and visits to other educational facilities.
- Friendships and relationships with others who share similar goals.
The Upward Bound Program includes a summer component during which students attend academic enrichment classes on the campus of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
The summer program consists of an intensive six-week learning experience to further enhance students' academic and motivational levels. Students have the opportunity to attend several college tours and attend an out-of-state educational/cultural/recreational trip.
Summer Bridge Program
During the summer following high school graduation, all Upward Bound students that meet University admission requirements will be enrolled at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and will receive a scholarship worth approximately $4,000. Monies will go toward tuition, room and board, supplies and textbooks.
Participating students take actual college classes, explore career and educational options, and learn how to succeed. We hold weekly group meetings with professors, financial aid staff, and mentors from campus to help make the adjustment to college life as easy as possible. Also, to make sure that you are successful, we require students to fulfill a total of 10 hours of tutoring per week in the courses they are enrolled in.