The Upward Bound program is a federal TRIO program funded by the US Department of Education. Upward Bound has been housed on the campus of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette since the 1972. Over the past 50 years, Upward Bound has assisted thousands of students in pursuing and achieving their educational and career goals. The Upward Bound is a FREE college preparatory program that provides academic support for eligible students throughout the year.
The goal of Upward Bound is to generate skills and motivation necessary for success in high school and beyond. Our mission is to prepare students for high school completion and postsecondary enrollment. Through Upward Bound, we work with students — to think about how they want to contribute to the future and how they can prepare to face the challenges that lie ahead. We believe that intensive study and organized recreation help foster confidence, teamwork, leadership, responsibility, and friendship.
Academic School Year Program
Through the Upward Bound Program, students receive:
• Academic support, ACT preparation, and tutoring
• Guidance and support in selecting academic, career, and postsecondary opportunities
• Workshops and group activities to build self-confidence and independence
• Enrichment activities to develop creative thinking, practical expression, and positive attitudes toward learning
• Cultural awareness through exposure and participation in cultural activities, tours of historical and geographical sites, and visits to other educational institutions
• The opportunity to build friendships and relationships with others who share similar goals.
Summer Residential Program
The Upward Bound Program includes a summer component during which students attend academic enrichment classes on the campus of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
The summer residential program consists of an intensive six-week learning experience to further enhance students' academic and motivational levels. Students can attend college tours and educational/cultural/recreational trips.
Summer Bridge Program
During the summer following high school graduation, all Upward Bound students that meet University admission requirements will enroll at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and receive a scholarship worth approximately $6,000. Monies will go toward tuition, room and board, supplies, and textbooks.
Participating students take actual college classes, explore career and educational options, and learn how to succeed. We hold weekly group meetings with professors, financial aid staff, and mentors from campus to help make the adjustment to college life as easy as possible. Also, to ensure that all students are successful, we require students to complete 10 hours of tutoring per week in the courses they are enrolled.