The McNair Program is federally funded and has certain eligibility requirements. Students are eligible for participating if they meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Have completed 60 credit hours (junior status)
- Have a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA
- Be first generation college student (neither parent has completed a four-year college degree) from a low-income background, or belong to a group underrepresented in doctoral studies, including African American, Native American/Alaskan Natives, Latino American/Puerto Ricans and Pacific Islanders.
To complete an application, please submit all of the following:
- McNair Scholars Application (Click here to access application package. Please sign electronically.)
- Statement of Purpose (Please upload into application)
- Official Transcript (please arrange to send transcript to the McNair Research Internship Program office.)
- Most recent copy of the IRS Form 1040 Individual Income Tax Return and financial aid award letter (i.e. FAFSA). (Please arrange to send documents to the McNair Research Internship Program office.)
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation, at least two of which must come from higher education faculty who can speak to your researching and writing skills. provide this link — Recommendation Form— to your recommenders. Recommenders should submit directly via this form.
All requirements must be completed and submitted for consideration.
If you would like any additional information about the McNair program, please visit the U.S. Department of Education's website.